Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Savior of the Child by Dr. Don N. Bacchus

I was really excited to review this book.  Being a mom, I'm always looking for good advice and new ways to handle situations. I've learned that hard way that each child is an individual and needs to be dealt with accordingly.  I was hoping to find some great new ways and perhaps some inspiration for my motherhood journey.

Instead, I found myself being yelled at.  While I agree that there are some great principles in this book and that I don't know everything, I do also know, without a doubt, that some of the things Dr. Bacchus states are quite controversial.  For example, breastfeeding and medication.  I did not breast feed.  I have my reasons.  That does not make me a bad parent.  My child is on medication.  That does not make me a bad parent. It does not make me a bad mother. It means my child has issues and needs and I'm making sure that they're met, even if that means medication every day.  I do agree that some children are over medicated.  Some children are given medication when it's not really  necessary and there are other avenues that could be explored.  However, this does not mean that every child that is on a behavioral medication has a bad parent!  I apologize, but this one really struck me.

I do, however, agree with Dr. Bacchus' main premise. Prevention.  As mothers (and fathers...sorry, Dr. Bacchus but this doesn't just fall to the women here) it's our job to let our children know they're loved and train them how to deal with life instead of just giving them digital babysitters.  If we decide we're going to have children, it's our job to give it one hundred percent  and teach them to be loving adults who can cope with life. 

I think most parents can find some valuable information in here.  In order to do that, however, it's tricky.  You have to be able to look past the strong opinions posted that have judgment attached in order to find what you believe to be important. 

Here's the most important part of the book.  It actually started as a letter to his grandsons.  Basically, a 'how to raise your children'.  Interestingly enough, it's written for mothers but written for his grandsons. The point is, if you can detach yourself and read it just from that point of view, it could be a good read.  If you can take the part of uninterested party and just look at the fact that this grandfather wrote a letter of instruction for his grandsons, you might actually enjoy yourself.  Dr. Bacchus' voice comes across loud and clear.

On a side note:  I must have read this book differently than most people.  It's being touted as a five star review and a necessity for every parent. Keep in mind, the review posted here is my opinion only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.