Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Brood X by Michael Phillip Cash



Seth is laid off from work.  His wife Lara just found out they are expecting a baby this summer.  Seth plans on documenting the entire pregnancy with his brand new digital camcorder.

During an evening home watching television, the news reports that a swarm of cicada (Brood Ten) are expected to overwhelm the entire Northeast.

Brood Ten is vicious and ready to invade.

During a sweltering summer night, Brood Ten emerges and wreaks havoc with the electric grid, phone and cell service, Wi-Fi, food and water supply.  Civilization as they know it is gone.

Seth and Lara are thrown back to the stone age in their own home with trillions of cicada trying to deposit their eggs and breed.  (taken from the back of the book)

Oh my gosh!  This book was so much fun!  We have horribly stupid characters that just can't seem to figure out what they're doing.  The first half of the book I just wanted to climb in and pull a ninja *slap slap slap*  move on each one of them!  They aren't annoying, just really fun to dislike.  I found myself sitting there cursing out loud at them randomly. 

As the story goes on, the cicadas arrive and our beautiful group of idiots begin to realize just how not bright they are.  That's when things really get fun!  We get blood and guts and more delicious idiocy!  And it's all written with this amazing vividness! 

The first book of Cash's that I read was Stillwell.  I enjoyed it, but it didn't wow me.  Brood X was a blast from start to finish.  I stopped thinking and sat back and cursed and ate popcorn and laughed with glee when the blood began to fly. 

Brood X isn't a book, it's an experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.