Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Effed Up by Russ Woody

 
Warning:  This is an adult book containing adult situations and adult language.  May not be suitable for children.  This means I wouldn't let my own children read it.  I honestly don't care whether you let your children read it or not. 

Robert Nirth is your average man.  His family, however, is not.  There is some sort of mental illness running through his family.  The bright side is that they're mostly just plain funny.  The downside is that people are getting hurt.  That isn't so funny.  With the passing of his father, Robert is now the only sane person in his family.  How will he cope with it all on his own?

I can't remember the last time a book was written so well that it brought such genuine emotion.  I found myself laughing out loud, wiping away tears and I even punched my computer desk once in anger.  Don't worry, neither myself nor my computer desk were harmed in the making of the review. 

Robert's life is definitely not a dream, but he copes with it using sarcasm and laughter.  None of us has an easy life.  The trick is being able to laugh about it.  At times, it's difficult, but Robert has a true talent for it.  Despite what life has handed him, he's determined to be happy and not harm others.  He's a good man full of compassion and joy.  He's just trampled by a family that insists on complicating life and forcing chaos into it.

Imagine you're at the bar having a beer with your best friend.  The atmosphere is light and friendly.  He starts to tell you a story.  At first, it's hilarious.  By the end, you're sucked in the story and you don't want it to end, but you realize you've drunk yourself sober and you can't stop thinking.

I strongly suggest that those who stick mostly to Christian fiction or non-fiction not read this.  It's nothing personal, but I believe you would be offended.  For those men out there who don't read but have thought about starting, this is definitely the book you want to begin with.  For everyone else, keep an open mind and fasten your seatbelt.  Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.