Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

See How She Runs by Michelle Graves

 
 
Izzy was a normal girl living in Chicago as a bike messenger before that fateful day.  She delivered one package and set into action a chain of events she never could have expected.
 
Now she is running for her life from the Corporation, her best friend is not at all who he seemed, and to top it all off she keeps having visions. (taken from the back of the book)
 
In the beginning, I was really excited about reading this.  Izzy takes on characteristics and the attitude of the character Jessica Alba played in the short lived television series Dark Angel, which happens to be an all time favorite of mine.  She's sassy, witty and strong.  When she gets tossed into an impossible situation, she stands up tall and takes it in stride.
 
I was disappointed, though, as her character progressed.  We see less and less of her snarky attitude and more and more of typical female idiocy and stubbornness.  In the beginning, she's adult and handles things in a 'stand up' manner, but as the book progresses, she lashes out in fits of anger rather than actually sitting down and having a conversation.  Having never been in her situation, perhaps that's the cause, but it really bothered me that she started out such a great character and then regressed.
 
Actually, I felt that way about most of the characters.  They each have a strong beginning and then sort of fade to black. 
 
As for the story, most of it has been done before, but it was still a really fun read.  I wouldn't say it was intriguing, since most of it was easy to figure out before it happened, but it's still told in such a way that you don't feel like you're reading the exact same book you read before.
 
I do look forward to more Izzy books.  I'd love to see Graves get back on top of the strong characters she started out with and bring more force into this series.  She has endless possibilities here to work with.
 
If you're a paranormal junkie, you'll want to pick this one up simply for that fact.  I'm not going to say it's a must-read, however.  I'm holding off my opinion on that until I see where this leads in the second book.
 
Reviewed for Minding Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.