Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2018

A Widow's Curse by Phillip DePoy



I have no idea where this book came from.  I was perusing the library for something to read and it jumped out at me.  Figuratively.  Being the Keeper of the Library, I'm familiar with every book in it...or so I thought.  I don't remember ever seeing this one before.  It was published ten years ago. Judging from the creases in the spine and cover, as well as rumpled and yellowed pages, this book has been loved well by someone.  I was intrigued enough to give it a shot, and boy am I glad I did!

The mystery here is alright.  The characters are alright.  The setting is alright.  All of these things are definitely acceptable and when compared to 'good' literature, there's nothing here really of note.  It keeps in line with what it should.  I have zero complaints.

Where it really excels is in DePoy's storytelling.  Oh my goodness!  I have not been so captured by individual sentences since Jerome's Three Men in a Boat.  I'm reading along, and a sentence will just strike me with it's true brilliance.  Most of the dialogue in the book is filled with wit and intelligence, but even in descriptive and off-hand sentences, it's truly mesmerizing. 

While I was doing some research on the book, I noticed you can buy it on Amazon for a penny.  One single cent.  I strongly urge readers and writers alike to pick this one up.  Now, the reviews I've seen for it were mediocre.  Not everyone will see what I see in it.  However, if you're seeking to broaden your horizons a bit, this is exactly what you need.  Every sentence is intricately placed and worded.  I'm simply fascinated by DePoy now and cannot wait to get my paws on the rest of his books.  After that, I'm anxious to check out his plays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.