Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker

Meet Truly Plaice - part behemoth, part witch, part Cinderella.  Born larger than life into a small-minded town, Truly breaks her family into smithereens.  Her mother dies during Truly's birth, and when her father follows shortly afterward, Truly and her dainty sister, Serena Jane, are destined for very different fates.  As Truly grows larger and larger on a rundown farm, she watches lovely Serena Jane become the town's adored May Queen and the obsession of a local boy, Bob Bob Morgan- the youngest in a line of Aberdeen's doctors, who for generations wove their influence among the town's citizens.  Yet no matter how far apart life propels them, Truly and her sister are forever linked.  And Truly will find her future shaped by Serena Jane's relationships, a centuries-old antique of Dr. Morgan's, and the reality that love cannot be ordered to size.  (back of the book)

You never know what to expect from a new author, so it was with a little nervousness that I approached Tiffany's book.  I have to admit though, this is one of the best books I've read in the past year.  It took me a few days to finish it due to life interruptions (darn life!), but I found myself carrying it with me everywhere I went, just in case the possibility to get through even another paragraph arose.  Now let's pick this book apart and expose those raw bones!

Characters are incredible in this book!  I love the villain and hate the heroes!  That isn't entirely accurate though, because as in real life, the lines blur back and forth.  Truly is the prime example of that.  Early on she states her case in such a way that we sympathise with her, but paying close attention, we see that things aren't always the way Truly claims them to be.  Of course she sees how she's being mistreated, but as a reader, catching the fine details we can figure out why she's being treated in such a manner.  I love Truly!  She's vindictive and spiteful and full of love and hope all at the same time. 

The writing is captivating and holds you tightly into the story.  Of course, sometimes we all get forced out against our will, but it's easy to pick the book up and just continue right from where you were without having to force your brain to remember what was going on.  Tiffany just sucks you into Aberdeen and keeps you there, no matter what real life may be holding for you.  In fact, I really wish she'd stick to Aberdeen and write stories about the other characters.  Marcus is definitely my favorite and would make for an excellent read!

Overall, a great read that sets into your mind and stays there, making you think for days after you've finished.  This is not a book to be missed, for you novel readers out there.  Tiffany is currently working on her second book, Fleur de Sel, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.  If it's nearly as good as Little Giant, Tiffany will become a keeper author for me. Thanks, Tiffany, for sending me this book to review.  For me, it was a great find that I probably wouldn't have found on my own.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, I'm hooked. This sounds like a really interesting story. I think I'm gonna have to get a hold of a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.