Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Power of Vitamin D by Sarfraz Zaidi, MD

I have to admit that I requested to review this book on a whim.  To be honest, I don't review enough nonfiction and this one didn't sound too horribly boring.  With the health revolution that's been going on the past few years, I was at least hoping to find something useful to say once I'd read the book.  I so love it when I'm wrong!!!

I love this book!  It's knowledgeable yet written in a way that even the most rudimentary of readers will be able to understand.  There are case studies included.  Basically, it just makes sense.  After reading the history of Vitamin D and learning what it actually is, how we obtain it and the uses it has in our body, I have to admit that I'm hooked.  Even if you aren't a health nut this book has something for you.  The information contained within is actually interesting.  The boring book I was expecting just wasn't here.  It didn't take me much time at all to breeze right through this book.  Surprisingly, I found it more difficult to put down than several of the fiction books I've read lately.  I have to admit, I'm a fiction junkie.  However, if all nonfiction books were this interesting, I'd definitely read alot more of them.

This book actually had a bit more impact on me than it might some readers.  I found that several of the diseases that can be caused by low vitamin D levels are actually diseases that are prevalent in my family.  Taking into account where we live and our lifestyles, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that my entire family could suffer from vitamin D deficiency. 

Yes, I can read your thoughts.  This is like those commercials where you listen to all of the symptoms, realize you have them all, and you're probably dieing of testicular cancer (and you're a female!), and that could possibly be the case.  I intend to find out.  Starting next week I'm going to be putting Dr. Zaidi's theories into practice and seeing just how well they serve me.  I've suffered (and I do mean suffered!)  from psoriasis since the age of 6.  I'll keep everything else the same as far as my lifestyle goes, but I'm going to attempt to intake the 'proper' amount of vitamin D daily and see what happens.  I'll then come back and comment on here in a few weeks and we'll see if it makes any difference in my life at all.  Of course, I'll be under my doctors care because anything less would be irresponsible.  If Dr. Zaidi's theories are correct, as his research indicates, this could mean a medical breakthrough for those of us out there with popular health issues that don't want to be heavily medicated the rest of our lives.

One last note:  Vitamin D is not a vitamin!!!  It's a hormone!  I love when I read a book and actually learn something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.