Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Sacrificial Lamb Cake by Katrina Monroe



Once upon a time, I lived in Monroe, Louisiana.  That information has absolutely nothing to do with anything.  You're welcome.

I'd never heard of Katrina Monroe before yesterday.  Why not?!  You guys are slackers!  Somebody should have told me what I was missing!  If I read another book of hers that I really enjoy, she's going on the 'must buy them alll!!!' list!

When I first started reading, I was reminded of Whitehead's The Reluctant Jesus.  Both books question what would happen if the Messiah returned, and things went horribly wrong.  That's pretty much where the similarity ends.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if more authors picked up on this idea?  I could read this stuff for days!

Now, before I get into everything I loved about this book, I want to put out a warning that it's not for kids.  There's only one sex scene, but it's detailed enough that I wouldn't suggest this book to my mother or my children.  Or my nieces.  Maybe my sisters.  Definitely not a clergy member.  Unless I didn't like them.  I digress!  It's only a couple of paragraphs, but I wish it had been avoided.  It's well done and surprisingly steamy, but removing it from the book would have meant I could suggest everyone read this book.  I'm selfish like that.

This is one of the most entertaining books I've read in a long time.  It's full of surprises and chaos.  Now, I'll admit, there are a few things that could be predictable.  Monroe does an amazing job of keeping you busy on the left while the predictable stuff is happening on the right.  So, even if you could predict it, you won't.  You're too busy being entertained to think that far ahead.  I bet she was a practicing magician as a child.  If not, she's definitely missed another calling she has talent for.

The storytelling is brisk and keeps you firmly implanted in the story.  You're immediately invested in each character so you care about what's happening to them.  The characters are created such that you even build emotion towards them.  Some you love, some you hate, but it's fun either way!  I think I may have even felt a little sympathy somewhere along the pages!

If you're not easily offended and you're looking for more than a story, this is one that you need to pick up.  It's an experience.  I don't say that lightly.  Throughout the entire book, I just had this look on my face (I assume it's the same look people have when talking to me most of the time) and I could feel it!  I was captivated and wonderfully confused!

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm anxious to see which of her books I should pick up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.