Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Delusional by Scott Spotson

When rising marketing executive Patricia Fowler falls for Paul Blast, a married co-worker, she tries to put her life into perspective-a task that becomes increasingly difficult when she starts having eerie hallucinations.  Patricia's dreams of a happily ever after turn into one nightmare after another as she battles threats that go beyond her imagination.
 
Is her new love behind the torment?  After all, his former girlfriend ended up in an asylum.
 
Or could Paul's wife be more than a bored, spoiled, rich girl?
 
Meanwhile, the FBI is trying to track down a thief who  magically appears and disappears, taking priceless gems and artwork with her.  (taken from the back of the book)
 
I'll admit when I first started reading this, I was bored.  I was disappointed.  I was dreading reading any more than the first few chapters.  It was dry and dull and overly detailed.  An art thief?  Yeah, it's been done.  Characters I don't care about?  Yeah, that's been done too. 
 
So, a few chapters later, my attitude really changed.  There are still a few spots in the book that are overly detail-oriented, but it really changes mood and fast.  Imagine a train moving downhill.  It starts slowly, then picks up speed and by the time it reaches the bottom of the hill, it's really moving!  That's what this book is.  I really started to care about the characters and their plight.  The mystery of the art thief wasn't such a big deal to me, other than trying to figure out how she did it. 
 
This is one of those rare books where the author has realized that anything can happen and has taken advantage of it.  Take an unstable character that doesn't seem to have a moral compass, and you've opened a Pandora's Box of delicious nastiness and shock.  Several times I caught myself with my jaw dropping and saying 'whoa!' 
 
If you enjoy any type of supernatural, thriller, or just a good mystery, I'd definitely add this to your 'to read' list.  I haven't read anything else by Spotson yet, but if his other work is as captivating and heart-thumping, I'm all for it!

Reviewed for Minding Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.