Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Red Demon by Deidre Knight

This third book in the God’s of Midnight series continues the saga of the immortal Spartan brotherhood. Aristos has recently taken over the demigod power of one of his brethren and is attempting to learn how to control it. The return of his former love, Juliana, wreaks havoc with his system, making it even more difficult for him to come to terms with his now powers.

When I first started reading this, I was pretty disappointed. I haven’t been following the series all along, although I’d heard quite a bit about it. I didn’t have any trouble figuring out what was going on, however I had that déjà vu feeling, as if I’d read this all before. Then it hit me how similar the Spartan brotherhood is to Sherrilyn Kenyon’s brotherhood. As I became further involved in the story, I found that though they do have a similar feel to them, there are actually quite a few differences. Knight takes the story in an entirely different direction than Kenyon, making the story pleasurable.

For paranormal lovers, this is definitely a good read. Not only are we dealing with gods, demigods, demons and immortals, we also have some lovely djinn thrown in. For those romance lovers, there are two wonderful stories going on. Aris and Juliana may be the main topic of the book, but honestly I found my attention drawn more towards the romance between Mason and Nikos. Though it’s the background story, it’s infinitely sweeter and more passionate, not to mention more taboo still in today’s society.

The writing immediately sucks you in. Characters are clear and bright. Though this is the third book in the series, I didn’t have any trouble jumping into the Spartan brotherhood world. I do, however, plan to go back and read the previous two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.