Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Doppler Affect by Dr. Shawn Phillips



By Daena
Reviewed for Minding Spot

The frightening power of vampires, werewolves, and lycanthropes has lived within our nightmares for centuries, failing to be reasoned out by the rapid advances in science and technology.  The truth is that they are very much a part of our reality.  However, they are merely the genetically inferior offspring of a more powerful race, known as doppelgangers, who evolved alongside humankind.  These shapeshifters adopted a secretive yet manipulative approach when dealing with us, feeding off the sexual desires of men to sustain their society...until desperate times forced a new order.

Christopher Sands, a rising investment banker,was just another victim in a long list of doppelganger schemes. Framed for a crime he wouldn't commit and watching his family fade farther and farther from his prison bars, Chris makes an unbelievable discovery; shapeshifters aren't the only race with supernatural abilities. Can he find the strength to accept an even worse fate than prison to not only save his son, but also all humankind?  Will Michael Sands be able to control the spirits that haunt him to finish what his father cannot?  (taken from the back of the book)

This novel brings to life the ultimate conspiracy theory, which states aliens walk among us and are even  among the elite powers of the United States.  In this novel, based on females morphing in to a male to control places of power within the United States, the story revolves around a matriarch society's quest to take over humankind. The basis of the book wasn't terrible.  It made for an intriguing story line and created enough suspense and action to make it an enjoyable read.

I had difficulty really delving into the story line.  Many of the events seemed as though they were underdeveloped.  I would have liked the search for the truth to take up a little more room on the pages.  The mystery surrounding the dopplegangers seemed just briefly touched upon, even though it was the best part of the story.  I enjoyed the investigation and the chasing of clues much more than the fighting and sex scenes, which, for me, were overdone.  Another issue I had while reading, was feeling disconnected from the characters.  Reading the book seemed more like I was watching a movie with the interesting background on the characters rushed.  I don't feel I really had any  more insight in to the characters than I would have if I had watched the movie based on the book.

Overall, I would label this a decent book.  The story, while maybe not unique, was gripping and had enough tension and energy to keep me interested.  I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a nice paranormal thriller which is also a quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.