Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Do You Believe? by Ann Lawrence



-Reagan

Do You Believe?  is about Rose Early, an American photographer, drawn to a small tourist village in England to look for her unexplainably missing sister, Joan.  While there, Rose meets an attractive and surly horror writer, Vic Drummond.  Aside from her missing sister and the budding romance between Rose and Vic, everything seems relatively normal until Rose starts looking at her sister's latest project:  photographing the local church.

I'm not a particularly big fan of romance anyway, and this book wasn't an exception.  It featured the same douche-y male love interest and the personality-less female protagonist, as well as the rushed and nonsensical romantic relationship.  Although there was considerably less cheese than the average romance novel, which was nice.

Aside from my inherent bias against the genre, there were other issues that kept me from enjoying the book.  There's nothing wrong with having sex scenes, but I personally feel that if a lot of these scenes weren't included that it would have left more space to work on the plot and characters.  There were some major plot points and character events that could have used a lot more attention from the author.

I think that if you are the kind of person that usually enjoys romance novels with a supernatural/horror twist, you'd enjoy this book.  however, for my fellow non-romance readers, maybe pick something else.  The mystery in this book wasn't enough to carry it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.