Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Impetus by Scott Sullivan


When the world first heard about the meteorites, it was already too late. 

Ten arduous years later, Mick and his small group of eight had adapted to the new way of things. With no clean running water, power, or forms of communication, the Earth went backward, taking with it almost everything they held dear. Survivors like Mick were forced to do the best they could with what they had. Because in the post-Impact world, alternatives were a luxury that no one could afford. 


Now a deadly virus promises to finish the job the space rocks failed to. 


With the clock ticking down on their lives, Mick will navigate the deceitful webs spun by those that oppose his drive for salvation. And along his quest to prevent another catastrophe, Mick will rediscover what it truly means to be human. (taken from Amazon description)


This is the first book that I've read by Scott, but I can guarantee it won't be the last.  There's a great reason why people are giving it five star reviews.  It's excellent.


The best part of this book for me, is that I forgot I was reading.  I was a spare person in this torn-apart world, an unnamed character myself.  I became so lost that I forgot it wasn't real.  I was merely the reader of a story.  Along with everyone else, I was waiting breathlessly to see what cruel thing life would throw at me next. I was hopeful, heartsick and infuriated at the injustice.


Also, I was really impressed by the 'wholesome' storytelling.  You'll find no swear words here.  You'll find no lewd sex scenes.  You'll find no gratuitous violence.  Scott's world is real and raw.  The story itself is shocking. It's about desperation and hope.  It's human nature at both its best and worst.  He didn't know to throw in any shock factors because the world he's created has enough of everyone to satisfy even the most avid adventure seeker.  The overpowering emotion and dire circumstances easily upstage any 'shock factor' I've encountered in a book.


It's difficult to convey in words, sometimes, exactly what I want to explain.  To simplify, think Walking Dead without the zombies.  We have strongly-built people, not just characters, but people.  We have a dystopian society in a cruel and harsh world, just trying their best to survive.  This was a three thumbs up read for me (yes, I borrowed a hand!) and I look forward to reading more.  This is an author for my keeper shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.