Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

Rushed by Brian Harmon


Eric keeps waking up after having the same dream.  He gets dressed and heads for his car with a sense of urgency.  Then he realizes, he has no idea where he's going or why he's going there, so he heads back in to bed.  After a couple of nights, he decides maybe it's best if he just gets in the car and sees where it takes him, to finally put an end to this dream.

Where it leads him is hours away to a place he's never seen before.  As he begins his journey, parts of his dream begin to resurface in his mind.  A sense of terror overtakes him, but he knows the roads are one way and he can't turn around.  He must see this through to the end or die in the process.

When I was in elementary school, we had a storyteller come visit our classroom.  I remember sitting there, avidly listening to this tale that was being told to me.  I couldn't tell you what the story was, but I remember her voice clearly and every nuance of her motions as she held me captive for this story.  It wasn't so much about the story as the storyteller.

When I first began reading this, that's how I felt.  I was once again a small child in a classroom being held captive by a storyteller.  Harmon has a way of telling a story that makes you feel like he's in the very room with you.  While you're reading the words, you can't help but hear them in a concise and clear voice and see each motion and expression as he tells you his story.

It didn't take me long to realize that this is no children's story, however.  This is a man who is terrorized.  He knows he's slated to be a hero, but he's just a regular guy.  Why is this happening to him?  How is his journey even possible?  Most of all, why won't the people he meets along the way give him any information?

The characters are fascinating.  The storytelling kept me spellbound.  It was unpredictable and a wonderfully good fright.  This is a great horror/thriller/paranormal with a nice little twist.  Eric still has his cell phone to tie him to reality during his journey.

Right now on Amazon the Kindle version is free.  You can't beat free!  If you're like me though, you'll have to get the next two in the series as well as soon as you've finished the first.  In Rushed:  The Unseen, Eric sees a famous missing person and his normal and dull life takes him in search of all the hiding places he can come up with.  In Rushed:  Something Wicked, Eric is summoned to protect a coven of witches.  Take a few hours and get to know Eric!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.