Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Flip by Michael Phillip Cash


Reviewed by Carrie Anne

Julie and Brad Evans are house flippers.  They buy low, clean out the old occupant's junk, and try to make a profit.  Enter Hemming's House on Bedlam Street in scenic Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island.  Too good a deal to pass up, but with an ominous secret.  The old Victorian mansion has dwellers that do not want to be dispossessed.  As the house reveals its past, will the couple's marriage survive The Flip?  (taken from the back of the book)

This is the first book I've read by Michael Phillip Cash, but it definitely won't be my last.  I love a good horror story, good mysteries, and historical fiction.  This had it all - even romance- in an easy to pick up, quick to read story.

The characters were instantly recognizable and relatable.  Who hasn't gotten in over their head on a project, finding they aren't themselves under stress?  Of course, I doubt most of us have ghosts interfering!  In this case, we even know how the ghosts feel, a new twists on the horror genre.  I say  horror, but there's no gore, though the interactions between ghost and human are rather disturbing.

The descriptions of the home, and the secret treasures within, will make you want to start flipping, too, especially if you can find a home with hidden rooms and boxes of forgotten stuff.  How exciting!

I've already recommended this book.  I enjoyed it that much!  I'm also looking for a little input on the end of the book.  There are characters called the Sentinels that seem to be helping the ghosts move on, but I'm wondering if there's more to their story?  I'm even thinking about re-reading the book to see if I missed something, but it would be worth it.  It's not a story I want to just set aside and shrug my shoulders about.  I'd love your opinion if you decide to read it, too.
 

3 comments:

  1. Carrie Anne you made my day! I love the fact that one of my books stayed enough with you to question and think about rereading it long after you closed the cover. I love to read. Reading makes me consider things I have always accepted as the truth. The Sentinels are mysterious beings. They don't look like the ghosts, but then while they are humanoid, they don't look like humans either. They seem above it all, don't they? They know everything, and I loved their attitude. Even though they were sort of omnipresent, they had their own problems communicating with each other! Sten is senior, and Marum is sort of a novice. You can tell by her questions. I never set out to put them in the book, but they appeared, fit into the plot and had to stay. Right now, they are observing a ghostly sea captain in the book I am halfway through. There will be more tantalizing bits revealed about them. More importantly, Carrie Anne; who do YOU think they are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really thinking I need to get another copy of The Flip so I can read it, especially if the Sentinels are going to be in upcoming books! What's the title of your next book, Michael? Seriously, I've never seen anyone that can crank out quality books as quickly as you do! It's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still thinking about this. I loaned my copy and haven't gotten it back yet. When I do, I'll look at it with fresh eyes. In the meantime, I have The Hanging Tree and Stillwell to read. I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.