Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Stop the Torment by Joyce Lillis

I am confused.

I picked this book up, believing that it was centered around teaching myself how to listen to my physical body for my nutritional needs.  Not only how to teach myself when I'm actually hungry, but training myself to listen to what foods my body actually needs.  Since this is something I've been working on as sort of a personal goal, I was excited to gain some insight.

Instead, I found several chapters on dieting, the history of dieting, and the reasons we eat incorrectly.  There are lots of personal stories inserted.  It was...entertaining and interesting.

I'm afraid I may have read and studied the book incorrectly because what I found inside, wasn't at all what I was looking for.  There are tools about learning how to tell when you're actually hungry and dealing with it, but nothing about learning what your body actually needs to eat.  Instead I found chapter after chapter of people who are doing the metabolism reset diet to lose the weight, while receiving therapy for their eating habits, and then choosing a different diet once they've reached their goal weight.

The part that really confuses me is that the book is supposed to be about not listening to your inner food voice.  You know what that is.  It's the little part of your brain that rationalizes about everything you eat.  I read repeatedly how dangerous that little food voice can be.  Then, however, I'm told that when a person fluctuates a few pounds, they just make an effort to make healthier choices and skip that bread or piece of cake until they're back where they want to be.  To me, the untrained eye, that appears to be still rationalizing what you eat instead of listening to your body.

There are some really interesting tidbits in here that shouldn't be missed, especially if nutrition and your weight are important to you.  Chapters ten and eleven are definites.  Chapter ten talks about nutrition for the body, and not just the type we consume.  Chapter eleven goes over metabolism.  We learn not only what it is, but how it functions.  Throughout the rest of the book, some of it honestly seems like a sales pitch, but if you can get around that, there's quite a bit to learn about your own relationship with food and the psychology behind diet and exercise.

Part Two of the book makes everything more personal by having you ask yourself a series of questions and really analyze your habits and your relationship with food.  If you're willing to take the time to eat nothing but grapefruit for two weeks, then take the time to read and fill out this section.  You WILL learn something about yourself, regardless of whether it leads you to losing weight or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.