Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Life of Death by Weston Kincade


Carrie Anne-
Homicide Detective Alex Drummond is confronted with the past through his son's innocent question.  Alex's tale of his troubled senior year unfolds revealing loss, drunken abuse, and mysterious visions of murder and demonic children.  Is he going insane?  With the help of his close friend Paige Kurtley, Alex must find the source of his misfortune and ensure his sanity. (From Amazon)
    I saw this book described as "paranormal coming of age,"  and I can't think of a better description.  As Alex is dealing with the loss of his father and learning to deal with his mother's new husband, The Drunk, he's also handling the pains of high school.  To make matters worse, he realizes then when he touches objects that belonged to people that have died, he relives their deaths.
    This book pulled me in from the beginning.  I could easily relate to the characters and a lot of what they were going through. The sequences going into the past were also easy to follow, not so far fetched as to be off-putting.  Alex did a project for school involving the Civil War and the corresponding visions were especially interesting to me, and a great use of the idea.
   
    There's a second book out now, The Golden Bulls, and I'm hoping to see even more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.