Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Cattle King for a Day by L. Ron Hubbard


By Shawn

Chinook Shannon shows up to collect his inheritance, only to find that if he doesn't come up with an insanely huge amount of money within 24 hours, he'll have lost it already.  With some gunslinger action and some good old-fashioned sleuthing, will Shannon be able to be the cattle rancher he's always dreamed of being?

We have a whole mess of crooked people here!  In typical Hubbard fashion, we have one character that really stands out amid a sea of old western craziness.  I have to admit, of all his westerns, I found this one to contain the most humor.  Chinook is tough and no-nonsense, but he does so in such a fashion that you can't help but giggle at him.  Of course, I wouldn't dare do that to his face, but since he's a character in a book and he won't see me do it, I think I'm pretty safe.

The story was actually pretty intricate. We get the pressing desperation over Chinook's situation, and we want desperately to help him in any way we can.  Oh the injustice of it all!  Then we start finding 'bad guys' everywhere!  Some are in pretty surprising places, the cowards!

This is a typical Hubbard western, but this one is memorable to me mostly because of the advanced storyline as well as the added depth of characters, versus some of his other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.