Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Ice Cream

I have become an ice cream junkie.  I've never been a huge fan of ice cream other than visits with Gramma where we'd down a pint of cherry chip.  That's not entirely true.  When I was pregnant with both the boys I craved peppermint stick ice cream.  I'd run to Wal-mart and grab a tub of it and eat it with a plastic spoon while waiting in line to pay for it.  I suppose it's more accurate to say that other than Gramma and the boys, I've never been an ice cream junkie.  That's changed though.  I eat it every night now! 

Today all of us are more conscious of what we eat than we were even five years ago.  The main reason I never buy ice cream is that I don't want to pay the price for the brands that have ingredients in them that I actually recognize.  The other day I randomly had a memory of a friend of mine making ice cream in her freezer.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible.  So, I thought I'd do a little experimenting in the kitchen and see what I could come up with.  I started off easy and I've become a bit more daring.  What I found is complete success!  I love this stuff and it's so easy!  It takes less than 5 minutes to make and a few hours to fully freeze.

Grab a 2 cup measuring cup.  Fill with 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.  Fill the other cup with plain old milk.  Toss the liquids in your handy spandy blender.  Refill the same cup up to the 2 cup mark with frozen fruit.  I started using just plain old frozen strawberries.  Toss in 1/4 cup sugar. Blend a few seconds.  Pour into single serving containers and toss in the freezer.  The end!  Today I used frozen peaches and added just a few drops of vanilla and it was divine!  I'm totally making it again tomorrow!  If any of you make this, I definitely wanna know what fruit combos you try. 

Note- You can add more sugar if you'd like.  I like it with less sugar, but you can keep adding until it's as sweet as you'd like it.  I also want to experiment using yogurt instead of whipping cream, but I haven't gotten that daring yet!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh. You posted the recipe. Awesome. We should try to come up with a peppermint version that's not too heavy on the sugar. But I'm definitely going to make some type of fruit ice cream this weekend. I'll let you know what flavor I make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is a junk food junkie and buying ice cream and sweets can get expensive! I've totally copied this recipe so I can try it. I'll let you know which combos I try. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I made strawberry/blueberry with a dash of vanilla. Then I tossed in a handful of frozen blueberries without blending them...my favorite so far! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.