Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Forgive Yourself by Allie Sager

When the unhappily married, Sammy Logan, is unable to control herself around Connor Simpson, the price for their betrayal will be high.  Her conscience will haunt her much like the darker secret for which her husband, Rick, has never forgiven her.  In a rush of action, secrets Sammy thought she could control rear their ugly heads and the past strewn with lies and innuendo will see the light of day in a present filled with betrayal and heartache. - From the back of the book

Wow!  This is a perfect example of not judging a book by it's cover.  Honestly, I've put off reviewing this one as long as possible because the book just looks so boring!  Of course, the back doesn't sound boring, but when faced with a plain blue book that simply has a bridge and a cloud on the front, it just doesn't seem that appealing.  After reading, I realize the symbolism in the front cover, but honestly the book packaging itself is a turn off.  I'm really glad that I forced myself to see past that, as well as the lack of editing, and devour the story inside.

The characters are extremely unlikable.  They're not sweet and endearing.  They evoke a strong emotional response in the negative.  Personally,I didn't like any of them and was reminded of a book I'd read once before where I just couldn't get through the book because I couldn't stand the characters.  In this instance, however, I had the pull of the sweet 'other world' to keep me entrenched in the story instead of letting my hatred and rage at the 'live' characters push me away.

The story is staged pretty well.  I had an issue with the ending, but I can't really go into that without adding spoilers to my review.  I can say that though I wasn't a fan of the ending, I do appreciate the fact that Sager was able to pull it off to the point that I was just a little disappointed instead of being angry and frustrated.

Over all, this was a good read that I just couldn't put down.  It's definitely not for the faint of heart, as some of it is quite graphic and the actions of some of the characters are a bit depressing and over the top.  It's a fast-paced read that keeps you engrossed throughout.  It also has a moral message throughout the book, which is always a plus.  It's nice to have an entertaining story that leaves you with a feeling that you've had a new insight.

1 comment:

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.