Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Liam the Leprechaun by Charles A. Wilkinson

Liam the Leprechaun is a tale about one of Ireland's mythic "Little People"  who is all of that and more.  Liam feels he lives an almost invisible life in the village of Shillelagh and decides to do something about that.  After visiting the wisest of all leprechauns, O'Hoolihan, Liam takes to heart Hooley's advice and his life as well as himself begin to change.  Liam the Leprechaun is a simple tale, with lessons to be learned, for children everywhere, including the child in every adult.  (Taken from the back of the book)

What fun!  I loved this book!  Liam is absolutely adorable!  He's this cute, tiny, red-bearded leprechaun whom nobody ever notices.  He's sweet and kind but just hasn't found himself.  He feels like everyone overlooks him because he overlooks himself.  Once he visits Hooley and decides to take his advice, everything really starts looking up for him.  Liam learns a valuable lesson about believing in himself. 

With children's books I usually get a child to help review it.  Sadly, the only child I had available is a four year old, and this book is a little out of his reading range.  I would gauge this book at the age 6-10 range.  Though the book is cleverly illustrated, they're all in black and white.  I found them engaging and adorable, but the four year old just turned his head away.  This is definitely a book that I would purchase as a gift for one of my nieces or nephews, however.  Good moral values define the book and unusual fancy keep it entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.