Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Miss Hildreth Wore Brown by Olivia deBelle Byrd

While Olivia deBelle Byrd was repeating one of her many Southern stories for the umpteenth time, her long-suffering husband looked at her with glazed over eyes and said, '"Why don't you write this stuff down?"  Thus was born Miss Hildreth Wore Brown - Anecdotes of a Southern Belle.  If the genesis for a book is to shut your wife up, I guess that's as good as any.


On top of that, Olivia's mother had burdened her with one of those Southern middle names kids love to make fun.  To see 'deBelle' printed on the front of a book seemed vindication for all the childhood teasing. -Taken from the back of the book

I approached this book expecting to find a bunch of fancy, schmancy snobby anecdotes.  In the north, sometimes we're left with the impression that a southern belle is just plain prissy!  I was expecting a few prissy anecdotes that would make me snort in derision.  Surely what would make a southern belle laugh wouldn't be funny to me.  I'm neither prissy, nor a diva.  I admit it, once again, I was wrong!

Byrd writes in such a manner that I was laughing out loud throughout  most of the book.  The stories she tells are entertaining and funny, as well as down to earth.  For me, the enjoyment lay in her writing.  It's pure and untamed.  She writes exactly what she's thinking and it definitely shines through.  Her bright wit and sarcasm show just what an amazing personality she has as a person, which brings the book to life right in your very hands. 

I strongly suggest this book to every woman out there.  Most of it surrounds her place in her family, as parent, wife, daughter.  We can all easily identify with Byrd and at the same time learn from her quirky mannerisms.  Not only does this book provide an easy hour full of laughter, but several thought-provoking ideas on being a woman in this day and age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.