Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Vexation by Elicia Clegg

For him power and glory are not enough, immortality is the only possibility.  His vanity consumes him, forcing his actions to capture, control, and twist her very reality.  he will make her like him, in this he will not yield.

Welcome to Devin Sinclair's world...

A world where each move is watched, each move is carefully controlled, and trusting your eyes can be a fatal mistake.  She is alone, terrified of even her own deteriorating sanity.   She must find the truth which hides in the book, the book that reviles what really happened the few months she was held captive, locked in a game he directs.

Devin must unravel the truth and learn to trust her mind if she is ever to find freedom for her and her fellow captives.  (Taken from the back of the book)

Let's get the nasty stuff out of the way first on this one.  Editing definitely wasn't up to snuff.  I was able to overlook most of it other than the mistake of 'cleaver' instead of 'clever' since it brought the entire scene to a crashing halt for me.  That being said...on to the good stuff!

Brilliant!   Take Jack Ketchum.  Remove a tad bit of gore.  Add in more psychological thriller.  I'm shocked to find that this is Elicia's first book, but really excited that she's nearly finished with the second, Running With Chaos.  For all you horror and thriller readers out there, jump on the Elicia bandwagon before it's full.  She's definitely going places if she keeps herself entrenched in writing and gets a decent editor.

Thoughts on the book.....wow it's just difficult!  I can't tell you what I'm really thinking right now because it will ruin the ending.   I do need to say that if your tastes run similar to mine, as you begin part three you'll want to toss the book aside in disgust.  Instead, I looked up at the heavens and shouted 'WHY, ELICIA??  WHY?!'  but I continued reading and I'm thankful I did!  Don't let the beginning of part three sway you from finishing the book.  This is easily one of the best books I've read this year.  Afterwards, even now, I find myself dissecting it and laughing maniacally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.