Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow by Jerome K. Jerome

Several weeks (maybe months?)  ago I reviewed a book and made mention of Idle Thoughts as one of my all time favorite books.  It's the book that I read as a youngster that's really stuck with me throughout my life.  I  never owned my own copy, but after the first time I held this book in my hands and read the first page, I was in love.  Now, I know that a lot of times we love things as children and then we grow up and have another gander at them and realize that with adult eyes and perceptions it just isn't the same.  The original magic we were so fond of is lost.  Well, I'm so excited to tell you all that one sweet person gave me a copy of Idle Thoughts for Christmas!  After having looked at it through adult eyes, I'd really like to share it with you all.

The entire premise of this book is that Jerome is bored as can be and decides to write a book about...well...whatever idle thoughts enter his brain...hence the title.  I remember as a kid reading it and thinking how brilliant it was that he was just randomly writing about subjects and what a great sense of humor he used when writing.  For a book about nothing, it was definitely entertaining and touched me personally.  As an adult, I feel exactly the same way.  I do view it a bit differently though.  It's more of a guide book for how to behave in certain situations.  Of course this book is about a hundred years old and some of those situations don't apply to today, but you'll still get your head whacked for calling a newborn baby 'it' within earshot of the mother, so some do still apply.  I still found the same dry humor and wit that originally drew me to this book.  I didn't remember how well organized it is, but I was thankful to discover that it is.  Each chapter is on a different thought. 

I was really expecting for some of the original magic I remembered to be missing but as I held it lovingly in my hands, I knew immediately all the magic was still there.  This book is a bit more difficult and expensive to find in comparison to many books, but it's definitely worth the search.  At least for me.  It's currently sitting in my top ten most loved book collection and I doubt it'll ever leave it's spot :)

HOLY CROW!  I deeply apologize!  Evidently it's not expensive or difficult to find at all!  As I'm about to post a link to Amazon so that you guys can check it out, I find that it's been newly republished in 2010 and it's inexpensive!  Amazon has several reviews so I strongly, strongly urge you guys to check this one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.