Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Threads West by Reid Lance Rosenthal

This book is the first in a six part saga about a group of people that are migrating west in the 1850's.  They all start out separately, having their own secrets, pasts and reasons for the journey.  As the saga begins, their paths cross and the story begins to unfold.

Love it!  My only complaint is that I'm not willing to wait around for the second book.  I suppose I don't have any choice but to wait, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!  According to Reid's blog, he's currently working on Maps of Fate, the second book and hopefully I'll be notified when it's published so I can let you guys know.

This book is gritty and dirty and doesn't hold anything back.  On the other hand, it's definitely polished.  Reid has a knack for making even the mundane, necessary descriptions alluring.  I was sucked in from page one and I've had two sleepless nights because of Threads.  I've found myself having every reaction from 'Aww...that's so sweet!' to 'YOU F^*%%^& B^%$^*&!!!' Sadly, those expletives were out loud and I'm ashamed of my behavior, but I'm not taking the blame!  The characters are lovable and detestable and I need more of them!

The Threads West saga has been compared to Lonesome Dove.  Personally, I've not seen or read Lonesome Dove, so I can't say for sure.  I can tell you that this book will appeal to history buffs as well as those who enjoy, romance, drama, action, politics, westerns and a good old-fashioned castration while being hung.  Alright, the castration and hanging part hasn't happened yet, but I sure hope it does!  Reid's found a faithful reader in me and I'm eager to see what happens next.  Also, on a personal note, you should go check out Reid's blog because that is one good looking cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.