Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Pecunious Life by M.L. Dolan

I started reading as an incredibly young child.  While other kids were at recess playing four square and tag, I was in the library.  My favorite childhood place to hang out was an antique shop a few blocks from my home.  In the back, left-hand corner of the shop there was a room that was completely dedicated to books.  I can still remember the smell and the buzz of the overhead light as I spent my childhood and part of my teen years devouring every book I could get my hands on.  I'm not really sure why the owner of the antique shop put up with me since I rarely purchased anything, but I'm thankful she did.  It was there, in that tiny room of the antique shop that I found the one book that has stuck with me throughout my life.  As an adult, I've tried to find a copy but with no luck.  I can't even find reference to it anywhere.  The book was titled 'The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow'.  It was tiny in my hands and had a deep red textured cover.  This book was no piece of literature.   It was simply one man's thoughts, written down in a small book and put out for the world to see.  Though it was either never known or quickly forgotten by the rest of the world, this book has always been loved by me.

A Pecunious Life.  A life rich in wealth.  I wasn't really sure what to expect when I picked up this book to read it, until I read the opening page.  This book isn't a piece of literature.  Dolan isn't a world-renowned doctor.  This book is simply one man's thoughts, written down in a small book and put out for the world to see.  The catch is that this man's thoughts are something worth listening to and thinking about.  He takes the time to tell us how he became who he is through a series of short, interesting stories about his life.  Then he takes us on a journey of who he is continually becoming.  This is an inspirational and motivational book geared towards getting you to think about your life.  What do you want out of it?  Where are you headed?  Are you really happy?  Dolan gives us a few exercises to help us get started in thinking about these important questions. 

This book isn't for everyone.  I don't see this becoming a best-seller or something talked about in every book shop in the country.  For the people who do pick up this book though, and find the tiny piece of magic that is hidden inside, and use it to better their lives, this book will be like 'Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow' is for me.  It's that one book that you take with you throughout your life.  Not always drawing on it, but having the comfort of it being there in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.