Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Vanished! by David E. Daigle

This is the fourth book in the Frontmire Histories.  In this book we start out with Morlah suddenly awaking from the druid sleep.  The problem is that he's slept for over six hundred years, which wasn't his intent at all.  Upon waking, he finds that things aren't as he left them at all.  Nearly everyone he's ever known has died.  The cities and peoples he once relied on are no longer helpful.  All that remains of his life is his nemesis, Daektoch, who is a black mage.  Morlah goes on a quest to find the elf stone, which he hopes will help him restore some sanity to the strange new world he's awakened to.

I haven't read the first three books in the series, but this one stands alone just fine.  I wish I had read them before reading this one though, just to get a better feel for the characters.  Although I loved the premise of the book and found it adventurous and intriguing, I just didn't feel any kinship with any of the characters.  This book is well-written and does have some really interesting scenes that I wanted to be involved in.  Over all, though, I was infused with that dry feeling I get when reading most fantasy.  As a stand alone book, it's not enough for me to want to tell everyone I know to read it, unless I happen to know that they're a diehard fantasy fan.  After doing some research and finding out how people feel about it as a series though, it paints a different picture.  The fans of the series seem to be enthralled with it and liken it to Lord of the Rings.  I strongly suggest that if you're a fantasy fan and want to read this book, start with the beginning of the series and work your way up.  The only real problem I had with it was that I wasn't interested enough in it to fully enjoy it, but those who've read the first three books first have had a much different experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.