Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Alice in Zombieland by Lewis Carroll and Nickolas Cook

Ah, sweet deviant writing!  From Dusk til Dawn meets Alice in Wonderland!

As Alice falls down the grave hole, we expect to find much the same story as when she fell down the rabbit hole to Wonderland.  What's better, it is the same story!  Of course, the white rabbit has become a black rat.  Instead of a cast of interesting characters, we have a cast of interesting undead characters. 

Most of this read felt like I was reading Alice in Wonderland all over again, with a few twists and turns added.  Those twists and turns, slight though some of them were, definitely made this an entirely different story.  Cook's wording is fabulously matching to that of Carroll, so if you don't know the original Alice inside and out, you may not know where one begins and the other ends.  Even if you do know your Alice, you'll find yourself trying to remember if that was original or newly added. 

I'd like to say this book was full of whimsy, and it some parts it was, but mostly I found myself disturbed.  I love horror and gore and the more the better!  I have no problem imagining  playing croquet with a wriggling undead foot.  There are lines that shouldn't be crossed though and I found a few areas where it was just a little too unsettling for me.  Most of this book was a joy ride for a nightmare lover, but once we get to hacked up baby parts in a stew, I'm ready to exit. 

If you can handle the extreme, this is a great read.  I love it just as much as all the other classics I've read that have been remade into horror.  I can guarantee you that you've never read anything like this, and aren't likely to again. 

Final note:  The end is EXQUISITE!  The entire book I was wondering how a zombie Alice is going to wake up as if it were all a dream...and I was not disappointed!  The ending was better than anything I'd imagined and it was totally worth the stewed baby parts to get to it!  (As long as I keep reminding myself it's not real, anyway!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.