Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Indelible Ink by Matt Betts


Oh, Matt Betts!  You are a sneaky, sneaky man!  When I picked up this book, I was expecting a situation similar to Odd Men Out, where I'd had to make several attempts in order to read it.  I was in for such a shock!  I spent the entire day today with my head buried in it!  Wherever I went, it went too!  I cannot believe the difference between these two books!  Odd Men Out was alright, but I'm completely smitten with Indelible Ink!

Before I get into the book, I have to talk about the genius of the title.  Indelible has two different meanings.  The first is a marking that cannot be removed.  The second is something that cannot be forgotten.  Ink is, of course, a colored fluid for writing.  It's also slang for a tattoo.  In this book, it's also used as shortened terminology for 'incubator.'  The book is about a girl who has a tattoo.  This isn't any normal tattoo.  It controls her.  She can never forget it's there.  It's a part of her.  People like her are known as an incubator (INK for short)  by a government agency known as FEI.  Then there's the fact that she can't remove the tattoo.

Okay, so I really don't want to give too much away.  The short version of the plot is that our main character, Deena, works for a mob boss.  After a job goes a little haywire, she decides she wants out.  Of course, this isn't going to be an easy task, especially since her sister is back at headquarters with the boss.

This is the most suspenseful book I've read in a long time.  It really was a pleasant surprise. There's plenty of action and chaos, as well as some really interesting characters.  The best part for me is that the ending has been left wide open for more books.  I think it was absolutely the perfect ending.  I can't see where Betts is working on a sequel, but maybe I'll have to shoot him a message and find out for sure.  This would be a keeper series for me!

One last note: Morgan is my favorite character!  He reminded me a lot of Jerry from The Voices.  He's not exactly stable, but he sure is adorable!  His character adds a depth of comedy to the book that it was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.