Pages

Friday, September 2, 2016

Navigating Indieworld by Carole P. Roman and Julie A. Gerber



Before I get in to my review of the book, I want to share something personal with you.  Most of you know that I have a special needs child and that rules most of my life.  During rough patches, Literary Litter has to close down.  Child first.  Work second.  There have been many times over the years that I've determined that I just can't do both.  Every time I've had to close down Litter during a rough patch, I've had to think long and hard before re-opening it.  The deciding factor for me, every time, has been Carole P. Roman.  I'm sure she doesn't even realize it, but she's been a true encouragement and inspiration to me.  Every time I feel like I can't do it, she give me the nudge I need to realize that I NEED to do it because it brings me joy.  Thank you, Carole.

Now, what does that have to do with the book?  Everything!  I know nothing about Julie Gerber, but I do know that Carole has learned everything in the book business the long and hard way.  The entire reason for this book is so that you, as a beginning writer, don't have to.

Every step you need to take from conception to marketing is in this book.  Some of these steps have alternate routes you can take, and they've all been covered.  It's a quick skim, but the way the book is set up, you can easily go back and find the part that you need to work on in order to read more.  Consider it a reference book.

There are lots of books out there on how to self-publish, but what sets this one apart is the multitude of resources that are just handed to you.  The research and work has been done for you!  All you have to do is go step by step (or start at the step you're on) and follow the suggestions or send e-mails to suggested possible contacts.

Since the book is based off of personal experience, you'll get a lot of personal 'stories' in the book.  Instead of just being a how-to book, it gives you a real connection with the authors and let's you see that they've really been there.  They know their stuff.

If you're dreaming of being a writer, or a struggling writer.  I strongly suggest reading this one.  If you're a seasoned writer, then you already know there's no such thing as too many contacts or too much aid.  However, this book is really written for anyone in the book industry, not just the authors.  As a reviewer, I found many resources that I'll be using in the future.  Even just having more of an understanding of what an Indie author goes through is helpful.

5 comments:

  1. You're right, Shawn I had no idea. As the mother and grandmother of children with special needs, I know exactly what you feel. I am so glad that doing what I love, inspires you to follow your dreams too. I am sure, that you are paying it forward to someone else and your are not even aware of it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Shawn I had no idea. As the mother and grandmother of children with special needs, I know exactly what you feel. I am so glad that doing what I love, inspires you to follow your dreams too. I am sure, that you are paying it forward to someone else and your are not even aware of it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right! I'd love to be an accidental inspiration! I appreciate you, Carole :)

      Delete

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.