Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016

Exit Strategy by L.F. Falconer



In this book, Jonas has been wrongfully arrested for murder.  Seeing no way out, he hops a boat and heads for help from an old friend.

What I love most about Falconer's work is that she's probably the sweetest lady you could meet, but she's not afraid to pull out her dark side when she's writing.  Whether it's her horror or fantasy, I'm always guaranteed to be shocked and pleasantly appalled.

When I first started reading this book, I was really confused.  Where's the Falconer I know and love?  I was greeted with a smarmy character I didn't like and a looooooooot of graphic sex.  We're talking, graphic enough I had to pull my little fan down off the wall.  My goodness!

Then I kept reading, and I started to see the Falconer I love so well.  All of that in the beginning is absolutely necessary to set the tone for the rest of the book.  This is NOT for chilren!  It's NOT for the faint of heart!  But it will sure mess with your mind!

I found myself, once again, completely lost in a world that I didn't understand, not having a clue what was coming around the bend.  I could, didn't want to, escape.  I had to stick it out for the entire ride.  If a train leaves Boston, how far will it make it in the book???

Reading this for me was reminiscent of the first time I watched Identity.  You start watching and you're a little confused because you don't like all of the characters and everything is dull and you're not sure why you're watching, and then all of a sudden..BAM!  Whoa!  It's not even like a light switch turns on, because you have an inkling that you're going ot flip the switch.  It's like you're in the middle of your favorite video game and the power goes out and there's not even a storm to warn you.  All of a sudden you just get what's going on.  And all the pieces are starting to fit together and you're thinking 'Hey!  I like this!'  and then you know what?  BAM! BAM!  You're lost again because all of those pieces you had started to put together have been ripped apart and scattered to the wind and new pieces from an entirely different puzzle have just jumped in to play.  It's a trip!!!  By the end, you finally figure out which puzzle pieces you're using and which puzzle you're trying to put together.  It's hard won and worth the effort!

I can't say this is my favorite Falconer book, but I can say that if Literary Litter was giving out an award for 'Most F'd with My Mind' this book would be winning hands down.  I'd have to call it a psychological suspense, because you don't know if you're own sanity is going to survive the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.