Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

How Three Brothers Saved the Navy by Charles A. Salter



This book is the third installment in the Kare Kids Adventure series.  For a more in depth look at this series, see my post on helicopter parenting.

The first two books in the series follow the stories of little girls.  This one, however, is about three brothers, which I'm sure you gleaned from the title.

These three brothers are military brats.  I use the term fondly.  Their dad is in the Navy and has taught them to be self-reliant.  The boys have started their own club and each has their own unique ability.  They practice what to do when confronted by the enemy or in a dangerous situation.  When they notice some paratroopers who shouldn't be there, they decide to investigate.  Finding important information, they battle the enemy in an attempt to get the information to the U.S. Navy.

This is one of the most suspenseful books I've read when you weigh suspense against page number.  My goodness!  We get a great glimpse at meeting the kids and then we jump right into the action.  Most of the time I found myself wanting to bite my nails.  Are they going to get caught?  What if they do get caught?  No Patrick!  No!  Run!!!

I can't imagine any child who loves adventure not loving this book.  It's not just for boys.  I know quite a few little girls who could kick butt given the situation.

As a mom, there were some parts that really worried me because I was seeing my own child in the situation.  It did help me to step back and take a look at my parenting.  The fact that these children have been prepared for any situation makes me wish I were able to do that with my own child.

Over all, another success in this series.  I've thoroughly enjoyed each one.  I would have devoured them as a child.  They're meant for ages about 8-13.  It's also a great parent/child discussion book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.