Pages

Monday, October 10, 2016

The Reluctant Soldier by Marnie Mellblom



This is a compilation of the letters that Neil Mellblom wrote to his fiancee while he was in the Korean War.

Now, let's be frank, you can tell that pieces of the letters have been removed.  I would say they've been edited for content.  There are some things that are written that are just too private to share with other people.  Most of the book, it's not really noticeable, but there are parts where you're reading along and he says he mentioned something before, and you know for a fact he hasn't.  I'm not nit-picking here, the fact is that you need to know this information.  If you're picking this book up in the hopes of reading some personal, sexy, love-lorn letters, then don't pick it up.  This isn't supposed to be a scandalous romance read.

Before you think that you're going to have letters and letters filled with war-front gore, Mellblom was a journalist during the war.  You'll still get accountings of what's going on, but it's not the same as what you may be expecting.

The most interesting part of this book for me, were Marnie's accounts written in between the letters.  She gives some background information on her childhood as well as her relationship with Neil.

Though this wasn't what I was expecting, it definitely was entertaining reading and gave me a different perspective on the Korean War.  I wouldn't say it's riveting, but it has a nice human nature feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giveaway Notice

All winners of giveaways will be notified as soon as their name has been drawn. Each winner will have two weeks to respond in order to receive their prize. Prizes cannot be delivered without an email/physical address. Any prizes that are not claimed within a two week period will be forfeited.

Notice

All books (unless otherwise specified) belong to me already, have been borrowed, or are sent to me by the author, publisher or review company for review. I do not receive any monetary rewards for reviewing books. The opinions expressed in my reviews belong solely to me.